We are currently fully staffed, but as we grow, additional booksellers will be needed. The following are the skills and responsibilities for joining our team. If you have these skills, feel free to submit a resume, which we will keep on file for six months.
Booksellers are the heart and soul of a bookstore, and as an independent neighborhood bookstore, we strive for a naturally friendly and welcoming attitude that starts with attention to customer service. You should feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books, but you may have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Customer Service – includes greeting customers, making recommendations, finding and obtaining books not in stock, knowledge of store inventory,
- Point of sale transactions
- Shelving books
- Assist in creating displays
- Remain up-to-date on new merchandise and new trends in the book industry
- Help keep store clean and organized
- Assist before, during, and after in-store events
- Wrapping gifts
- Basic computer skills, including the ability to learn the Point of Sale system and inventory database. Also knowledge of social media, email marketing, and basic website management a preferred.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and lift up to 40 pounds
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Great attention to detail
- Problem solving; able to take ownership of all interactions
- Ability to multi-task
Previous bookselling experience is a plus, as is experience in a library, educational, or other retail setting. A wide knowledge of books and genres, including children’s books, plus an interest in current releases and the publishing world are extremely helpful.
Weekday availability as well as some nights and weekends required; hours and daily schedule may vary.
If interested or if you have any questions, please send a cover letter and resume to Christine Yockel at firstname.lastname@example.org.